Friday, May 1, 2015

Monterey, CA Paintings

These are some paintings I did during the 5 day Plein Air Convention & Expo in Monterey, CA a couple weeks ago.
Asilomar Beach
9x12 oil on linen
(The 1st day was by far the windiest, it was a challenge just to keep my easel from blowing away!)

Rocks at Lovers Point Park
8x10 oil on linen
(Couldn't get over the beautiful blue of the water in CA!)


Pebble Beach
9x12 oil on gessobord
(I paint along the beach quite often, but Florida gulf beaches are so different from CA ones!)

Crash
5x7 oil on gessonbord
(One of the demo artists at PACE suggested meditating on your subject before painting it... which is kind of a requirement when attempting to paint waves!)

Pirate Ship at the Warf
8x10 oil on gessonbord
(Last morning in CA, the red/green complimentary color scheme of this punchy little pirate ship-looking sailboat moored along the warf caught my eye.) 

Point Lobos
8x10 oil on linen NFS
(The stunning vistas from Point Lobos Park literally took my breath away as I hiked around on the last day of PACE... Unfortunately, just as I was getting my easel set up the sea fog rolled in and settled. I didn't have any phthalo blue on my palette either, which is needed to capture the ice blue water there... in the end this one got scraped down, just couldn't manage to do the scene justice, oh well.)

Brrr! It was a little on the cool side... but sooo beautiful!


No comments:

Post a Comment