Monday, January 19, 2015

Light Play on Sand


Light Play on Sand
8"x10" oil on canvas

I read yesterday about a series of small paintings plein air master, Kevin Macpherson, did some years back of a nearby pond. The term "series" is perhaps too modest a description for what came to be called the Pond Project... in which he produced 368 paintings of that pond to be exact! In reading about the project I noted his comment of how "the same view produced endless composition choices." 
Anyway, it got me thinking about the little path out to the beach behind our place that I've done several paintings of now, each somewhat different, depending on my perspective, the time of day and the weather. Though I don't anticipate doing anywhere near 368 studies of it, I like the idea of really observing it, as a kind of visual diary of sorts. Already, just in the 7 or 8 studies I've done so far,  I'm starting to notice more acutely the subtle shifts in chroma and temperature of the undulating sand and footprint shadows that make up this path... and I've not even begun to scratch the surface! 
So bear with me as you may likely see many more views of this path in the future...


No comments:

Post a Comment